Choose Your Own Adventure. Avalon Invites Travelers to Chart Their Own Course in 2019
The company that reinvented river cruise ships is now reinventing the river cruise experience. In 2019, Avalon Waterways is increasing opportunities for travelers to enjoy its collection of Active DiscoverySM river cruises, including a NEW itinerary on the Rhône River.
Next year, Avalon Waterways is also introducing a completely revamped Avalon Choice® program, offering travelers “Classic,” “Discovery” and “Active” options on every river cruise itinerary and a new AvalonGo App.
“Along the Danube, Rhine & Rhône Rivers, Avalon travelers can now hike, bike and engage in their surroundings in unimaginable ways, thanks to our unique Active Discovery cruise collection,” said Pam Hoffee, managing director of Avalon Waterways. “From action-packed experiences to interactive discoveries, these vacations offer something for all interests, energy and fitness levels, allowing our guests to tailor their vacation to their personal taste and pace.”
Avalon’s Active Discovery cruises engage and immerse travelers in two ways:
1) ACTIVE: Exploration in Motion. For the traveler who thrives on motion and action, Avalon Waterways has created a broad menu of energetic excursions that include everything from taking a jogging tour through Amsterdam, a biking tour around Vienna or even a canoe trip on the Danube.
2) DISCOVERY: Engaging, Cultural Experiences. For those who believe that life is about trying new things, Avalon presents an inspiring selection of interactive excursions created for a different kind of “doer.” These hands-on experiences offer travelers the chance to take part in a painting class in Amsterdam, taste locally produced cheese and beer at an ancient abbey or say “good morning” to Vienna on an early-riser walk to a quaint café.
In 2019, Avalon Waterways’ 8- and 9-day Active Discovery Cruises sail on Suite Ships featuring 200-square-foot Panorama Suites, Open-Air Balconies and beds facing the views – on the Rhine, Danube and Rhône Rivers. Also unique is that these itineraries include more day sailing and time in a-typical ports of call.
“On the Rhine River, for instance, travelers will not only spend time in popular destinations like Cologne and Amsterdam, they will also explore Xanten, Eltville, Duisburg and Wiesbaden,” said Hoffee. “On the Danube, there’s always Budapest and Vienna but on these special Active Discovery itineraries, travelers can also experience off-the-beaten-path places like Engelhartszell, Spitz and Visegrad. Our Active Discovery cruises invite travelers to explore popular rivers of Europe in an entirely new way.”
Avalon’s NEW 8-day Active Discovery on the Rhône offers travelers a plethora of included “Active” and “Discovery” excursions, such as:
• Port-Saint-Louis: Hike or bike through the Camargue Regional National Park or visit a local oyster farm.
• Arles: Hike in Val d’Enfer or engage in a workshop to learn to paint like Van Gogh.
• Avignon: E-bike through Tavel, enjoy a wine-tasting or tour the Museé des Aromes and make your own scent.
• Viviers: Canoe through the Gorges de l’Ardéche, take a guided hike through the Natural Reserve of Cirque d’Estr, engage in an underground wine tasting in a cave, visit a crocodile farm and/or join a ghost tour.
• Tournon/Tain L’Hermitage: Rail-bike along the descent of the Gorges du Doux, hike the vineyards surrounding the twin cities, tour the Valrhona factory and make your own chocolate bar and/or join a cooking demonstration.
• Lyon: Take a guided hike in Parc de la Tête d’Or, join a culinary walk or make your own Saucisson brioché in a cooking class.
In 2019, travelers on every itinerary will also have the opportunity to explore the world in an entirely new way. The river cruise operator’s NEW Avalon Choice program offers cruisers three excursion styles:
1) CLASSIC. A local expert guides travelers through the history and heritage of local destinations to marvel at legends, lore and architecture of iconic and “must see” historic sites.
2) DISCOVERY. Travelers are invited to engage in inspiring and interactive activities designed to cater to their interests – from cooking classes to painting workshops – Discovery excursions help them immerse themselves in culture.
3) ACTIVE. Avalon guests can embark on energetic excursions – from a guided jogging tour of Amsterdam to biking, paddling and hiking their way through each destination – keeping travelers in motion and on the go.
And, to further help their guests go their own way, the company’s NEW AvalonGo App invites them to independently explore each destination throughout their vacation with a detailed, daily schedule of their itinerary, a list of nearby attractions (featuring hours of operation, historical facts and more), maps, directions as well as local cafés, restaurants, bars and entertainment options for further exploration.
“Avalon guests can now let the world in and their inner explorer out. They have an open invitation to experience each destination in more ways, in exceptional ways and most importantly, in their own, very personal ways,” said Hoffee.
SEE BEYOND SALES EVENT: Travelers booking a 2019 cruise early can save up to $3,000 per couple on select, air-inclusive Europe and Asia river cruises.