Cunard and Julien’s Auctions to Showcase Iconic Bob Mackie Collection on Queen Mary 2 Transatlantic Crossing
Luxury cruise line Cunard has partnered with Julien’s Auctions to offer guests an exclusive opportunity to sail with legendary fashion icon Bob Mackie and enjoy a special exhibition preview of “Property from the Collection of Bob Mackie,” which includes some of the designer’s most famous pieces.
The Transatlantic Crossing sets sail out of Southampton, England on August 19, 2018 (M831B), ahead of the auction which will take place on November 17, 2018 in Los Angeles and online at juliensauctions.com.
Renowned fashion and costume designer Bob Mackie is best known for his creations for Cher, Carol Burnett, Diana Ross, and Raquel Welch. From his unforgettable award-winning wardrobe as the costume designer for the first Carol Burnett Show to his longtime collaboration with Cher and her dazzling, boundary-pushing wardrobe on her TV show, concert tours and public appearances, the nine-time Emmy® award winning designer, three-time Academy Award® nominee and Television Academy Hall of Fame inductee has spent a distinguished career designing for women who dare to be noticed.
His achievements have been honored with numerous awards and accolades and he continues his work by designing for the upcoming The Cher Show, set to open on Broadway in fall 2018.
On the seven-night Transatlantic Crossing, from Southampton to New York, guests will enjoy:
● A daily, rotating exhibit of the Bob Mackie collection
● Exclusive opportunity to bid on select items while onboard in advance of the general auction in November
● Q&A with designer Bob Mackie
● Q&A with Julien’s Auctions President and CEO Darren Julien and Executive Director Martin Nolan
● An opportunity to win an original costume sketch drawing by Bob Mackie
“We are delighted to partner again with Julien’s Auctions to welcome celebrated costume and fashion designer Bob Mackie aboard our flagship Queen Mary 2 for this special program experience,” said Josh Leibowitz, SVP Cunard North America.
“For more than ten years, we have enjoyed a fruitful and enriching partnership with Julien’s Auctions, bringing our guests ‘only on Cunard’ exclusive advance auction opportunities from such celebrity estates as Bob Hope, Greta Garbo and Marilyn Monroe. This Crossing will be another exceptional experience for our guests.”
Highlights of the collection include:
● Carol Burnett’s costumes worn on The Carol Burnett Show including designs used in a “Commedia Dell’Arte” skit with Joel Grey and Burnett as Punch and Judy dolls (estimate: $2000-$4000), a coral jersey gown and embellished bolero worn on the show by Burnett (estimate: $1,000-$2,000) and a custom-made matte jersey gown worn by Burnett to the People’s Choice Awards in 1977 (estimate: $2000-$4000)
● Several of Cher’s most iconic, headline-making ensembles worn in the 1970s including her 1974 Academy Awards custom-made, hand-painted silk (estimate: $4,000-$6,000); spaghetti strap jersey gown worn on The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour (estimate: $3,000-$5,000); marigold jersey jumpsuit worn performing “Everyday People” on The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour and Cher (estimate: $3,000-$5,000); large Mother Goose costume worn by Cher in a skit with Better Midler on The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour, and more
● A petal pink satin gown worn by Julia Louis-Dreyfus to the 1998 Emmy® Awards (estimate: $3,000-$5,000)
● Raquel Welch’s figure hugging nude jersey gown embellished with topaz and white faceted glass and rows of gold bugle beads worn on the TV show Cher (estimate: $3,000-$5,000)
● A black custom made gown worn by Lauren Bacall in 1970 in the Broadway show Applause and to the 24th Annual Tony Awards where she won for Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical for that role (estimate: $3,000-$5,000)
“Bob Mackie’s five-decade long career designing some of the most iconic fashions and looks of all time worn by some of the most glamorous stars in all of Hollywood history has been nothing short of extraordinary,” said Martin Nolan, Executive Director of Julien’s Auctions.
“We are very honored to present this once in a lifetime opportunity for passengers on board Cunard’s venerable Queen Mary 2 to experience the style and art of Bob Mackie as well as meet the legend himself behind this spectacular collection.”