The Second edition of the MedCruise Awards took place online on August 11th, 2020
The second edition of the MedCruise Awards has taken place today (August 11, 2020). MedCruise Association has celebrated this gala, one more year, to recognise excellence in our industry; and the categories of the awards today reflects the diverse nature of the industry and the innovation taking place.
It has been an impressive online ceremony that has delivered positive messages of great hopes to the industry for a joint recovery, particularly in times of adversity. Despite the difficult situation that the world is currently facing, MedCruise Association felt that was time, more than ever, to present accolades to those companies, organisations and individuals who are working harder to take the cruise industry into a challenging and competitive future.
This major cruise event brings together annually MedCruise members and their key partners as well as experts – cruise line executives and international press representatives- and aims to recognise companies, organisations and individuals. In this occasion, the Association of the Mediterranean cruise ports, has recognized the current exceptional Commitment and Solidarity from companies, ports, organisations and individuals of the Cruise industry during the present COVID-19 pandemic.
MedCruise Awards integrates several categories with different juries composed by cruise industry experts, where some prizes are given based on jury members’ opinion, and others based on facts.
“I would like to congratulate all the winners and thank all MedCruise members, associate members, cruise line executives and international press representatives for taking part of the election process and supporting this great event as well as the Board of Directors members of MedCruise for their commitment to the organisation of this great event”, said MedCruise President, Airam Díaz.
The first edition of The MedCruise Awards took place last year in June, 2019 and was hosted by Med Cruise’s founding member, Port of Genoa & Savona, today managed by Western Ligurian Sea Port Authority.
Categories and winners of the awards:
• Cruise Line Executive Showing the Greatest Commitment during the COVID-19 pandemic: Michel Nestour from Carnival Corporation, for keeping in contact with MedCruise members and showing interest in our destinations.
• Award for the cruise line that has shown the greatest solidarity and commitment during the pandemic: Celestyal Cruises, for purchasing a cruise vessel during the pandemic.
• Port showing the greatest commitment during the pandemic from the West Med Region of MedCruise: Gibraltar Port Authority.
• Port showing the greatest commitment during the pandemic from the Adriatic Sea Region of MedCruise: Dubrovnik Port Authority.
• Port showing the greatest commitment during the pandemic from the East Med Region of MedCruise: Galataport Istanbul & Kuşadasi, Antalya, Bodrum; Global Ports Holding.
• Port showing the greatest commitment during the pandemic from the Black Sea Region of MedCruise: Odesa Sea Port Authority.
• Award for the MedCruise associate member showing the greatest commitment during the pandemic: Intercruises Shoreside & Ports Services.
• Award for the Best Cruise Industry article: Cruise Times, for the article “An Aegean Resurgence – The future is bright for the Eastern Med”.
• Lifetime Recognition Award: Alexandra Mendonça, from Madeira Ports, for her outstanding contribution to the Cruise Industry.
• Award for that cruise industry experts that have shown their greatest commitment and insight during the pandemic: Chris Ashcroft from Cruise Insight, for his videos and articles on the future of the Cruise business after the pandemic.
• Award for the international cruise industry association that has assisted greatly towards the comeback of the cruise industry: CLIA Europe, for its commitment for the resumption of the cruise operations in MedCruise ports.
• Award for the maritime organisation or organisations for exceptional commitment during the pandemic: IAPH, for leading the dialogue among the world’s cruise ports organisations about the future of cruise tourism, in collaboration with the IMO and the UNWTO.
• Award from the MedCruise Presidency: Michael McCarthy (chairman of Cruise Europe), for his commitment with the whole cruise industry and valuable cooperation with MedCruise Association.
Link to the MedCruise Awards Gala: https://youtu.be/3ejP9v8TGrU