The Costa Brava set to have a record-breaking cruise season. The ports of Palamós and Roses are resuming cruise activity

MedCruise (Logo)The ports of Palamós and Roses are resuming cruise activity with a bang after a break of almost two years due to the pandemic.

With the new normality, the 2022 cruise season is expected to be exceptionally good with 66 stops and the arrival of 60,000 passengers in the Costa Brava, figures that will be reached for the first time this season.

In percentages, cruise stops will increase by 32% and passengers by 6%, compared with the 2019 season. We should mention that in the last quarter of 2021 the ports of Palamós and Roses and the Costa Brava destination partially restarted cruise activity with nine cruises and 4,000 passengers.

The estimated economic impact of cruise activity on the region is forecast at 5.4 million, according to a study by the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), which estimates that each passenger disembarking at a port of call spends an average of 90 euros while visiting the destination.

Cruise activity plays a key role in the Costa Brava as it helps to de-seasonalise tourism. This year, 67% of the cruises stopping at Palamós and Roses will do so during the low season, bringing with them a large number of tourists by sea who generate employment and wealth and create economic dynamism in the province of Girona.

The ports of Palamós and Roses receive cruise ships from the US and European markets. This year, 56% of the cruises due to arrive belong to the US market and 44% are from Europe. This year, seven cruises will be stopping in the Costa Brava for the first time.

Palamós started the season on April 3, while Roses begins on Saturday, April 9.

Azamara Pursuit launches the season

The port of Palamós has kicked off the 2022 cruise season on the Costa Brava. The season will last eight months, from 3 April to 18 November. The first cruise ship of the season was Azamara Pursuit, docking in the port of Palamós for the first time. The cruise ship arrived today at 8.00 am from the port of Barcelona and will set sail at 6 pm for the French port of Toulon. It is carrying around 300 passengers, most of them from the United States. Tourists who plan to discover Palamós and the surrounding area, with day trips to Girona, Figueres, Púbol, Pals and Peratallada. Moreover, some of these tourists will also enjoy a wine-tourism experience at one of the region’s wineries.

The opening ceremony for the season was attended by the director general of Ports de la Generalitat Pere Vila Fulcarà, the mayor of Palamós Lluís Puig, the director of Territorial Services in Girona Pere Saló, the third-vice-president of Girona Provincial Council Maria Puig, and the chair of Palamós Chamber of Commerce Pol Fages. To mark the occasion of the ship’s first visit to the port of Palamós, the institutional representatives presented the captain with a metope and gifts from the region.

Palamós reaffirms its leadership in cruises

The port of Palamós’ cruise activity is strengthened thanks to the excellent forecasts for the 2022 season. The port expects to receive 57 stops with 58,000 passengers, breaking records in terms of stops and passengers, and marking its best season ever. These figures enable it to maintain its leadership position on the Costa Brava, and situate it as Catalonia’s second port in number of stops. Compared with 2019, Palamós is due to receive 7% more passengers and 26% more cruise ships.

63% of the cruises will arrive in low season and the remaining 37% in high season. This season, five cruise ships will stop at Palamós for the first time. In addition to today’s ship, the port is also expecting: Sea Cloud Spirit, Mein Schiff Herz, La Belle des Oceans and Seven Seas Splendor.

Medcruise Assembly Costa Brava

The institutions that make up the brand Costa Brava Cruise Ports are all set to host, for the first time, the Medcruise General Assembly, from 24 to 27 May 2022. During this event the ports of Palamós and Roses and the Costa Brava destination will be hosting the world’s cruise industry. A historic occasion that will raise the international profile of the Costa Brava and the two towns with cruise traffic.

(MedCruise)

OTHER RECENT POSTS

We are using cookies on our website

Please confirm, if you accept our tracking cookies. You can also decline the tracking, so you can continue to visit our website without any data sent to third party services.